USC Reinstates O'Neill After Altercation, Suspension

It looks like Kevin O'Neill's job as head basketball coach at USC is safe...for now.  After suspending O'Neill on Friday, USC athletic director Pat Haden reinstated O'Neill as head basketball coach on Sunday.
"Effective immediately, I am reinstating Kevin O'Neill as our men's basketball head coach," Haden said in a statement. "Coach O'Neill and I have talked numerous times these past few days. He has continued to express his regret and embarrassment over the incident that led to his suspension from any remaining games of the Pac-10 Conference Tournament...Further, he understands that he let them down as their role model and leader. He has apologized to his team, as well as to me, our administration, our fans and the Pac-10."
"I'm excited to be back coaching the Trojans and I am looking forward to the postseason," O'Neill said. "This is a special team and we have shown that we can compete with anyone in the country.
"But I temper my excitement of being reinstated with the realization that I made a serious error in judgment the other night. The disciplinary measures that Pat Haden took, including the suspension, were absolutely the right call. My wife, Roberta, and I are both very apologetic for the embarrassment we caused the Trojan Family. We vow to move forward in a positive manner."
UPDATE 3/14/11:  O'Neill has to get his team regrouped pretty quickly.  USC managed to receive one of the last at-large bids in the NCAA tournament, as they will play Virginia Commonwealth (VCU) on Wednesday for the #11 slot in the Southwest regional

USC reinstates Kevin O'Neill [ESPNLosAngeles.com]
Previous
Next Post »